The 3rd Regiment of Hussars was created on February 10, 1764 in Phalsbourg by Count Valentin-Ladislas Esterhazy and was originally designated as Esterhazy Houzards. He became the 3rd Hussars on January 1, 1791, by decree of the National Assembly, which removed the names given to the regiments to assign them numbers.
In 1793, belonging to the army of the Eastern Pyrenees, he distinguished himself at the battle of Froeschwiller where Major La Houssaye captured with two squadrons nearly 1,500 Hungarian grenadiers and 28 cannons.
The 3rd Hussars commanded by Kléber joined the army of Sambre and Meuse from 1794. He took part in the occupation of Mainz in 1800 then remained on the Rhine until the peace of Amiens. During this revolutionary period its districts were successively installed in Compiègne (1803) then in the army of the coasts (1804).
On October 14, 1805, the 3rd Hussars took part in the battle of Elchingen. Under the orders of Colonel Colbert and alongside the 10th Chasseurs à cheval, he loaded a body of Austrian cuirassiers and two infantry battalions before capturing more than 2,000 enemy soldiers. During the campaign of 1807, he fought in Eylau and Frieland. Sent to Spain in 1808, he remained there until 1813.
Under the Restoration, the regiment then become Hussars du Dauphin overthrows on June 27, 1815 in front of Belfort a formation of 4000 Austrians. This feat was repeated on July 2 on the Sévenans bridge. Dissolved in November 1815, it was immediately recreated under the name of Hussars de la Moselle.
During the Second Empire, the 3rd regiment of Hussars took part in the Algerian campaigns (1861-65; 1875-76), stationed in Lyon and Verdun (1876), in Senlis (1914) and in Strasbourg (1919). Dissolved a second time in 1942 it was reconstituted in Nancy in 1945. In 1947 its troops joined North Africa (Morocco and Algeria) then returned to the metropolis in December 1962. From garrison at Pforzheim in Germany (1963) it was the only one. reconnaissance regiment of the 2nd Army Corps. Since 1996, he has been part of the Franco-German brigade in Immendingen, a town located 20 km east of Donaueschingen in the nascent Danube valley.
For more information
Office du Tourisme du Pays de Phalsbourg
1 rue des Généraux Micheler
Tél : +33 (0)3 87 24 42 42 Phalsbourg Office de Tourisme du Pays de Phalsbourg
Open from Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00 to 12:00 and from 14:00 to 17:00 (except public holidays). Closed on Saturdays in January and February.